History of the manor

Bistramai family used the coat of arms Tarnawa. The pioneer of Lithuanian branch of Bistramai family was Jonas Kazimieras Bistramas, the landlord of King Vladislav IV, who has received 26 Wallaches of land in the middle of Lithuania from the lord for his merits and has moved to live there from Kursas. One of his two sons returned back to live in Kursas while the other – Jonas Evaldas married to polish girl Ana Svencicka, stayed to live in Lithuania and has acquired two folwarks in the wide valley of Juoda in the juncture of seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. Later, when the manors were split by his descendants, one of the manors containing the villages of Dudoniai, Uliunai and Gautkalnis was named Karaliava and the other was named – Bistrampolis.


Bistramai holdings were connected by Karolis Bistramas from Karliava at the beginning of nineteenth century. The latter’s son Karolis (1819 – 1887), the marshal of Upyte district (powiet), married Zofija Mineikaite and has received the manors of Upyte and Stultiskiai with some smaller folwarks as a dowry. His son Vladislovas who has inherited the manors did not show a big interest in the administration of his wide holdings. Usually he spent the winters with his family in Warsaw. He died in 1918. V.Bistramas was married to Kamenskaite and had 8 children: sons Vladislov, Kazimieras, Karolis and Tadeus and daughters Gabriele, Jadvyga, Michalina and Irena. Tadeus Bistramas who has inherited Bistrampolis married Marija Meistaviciute from Pajuostis. He lived in Vilnius occupied by polish in the interwar period. When the manor was nationalised in 1940, the owners of the manor were named to be his successors.
Bistramai has worried about the creation of the residence in line with their wealth only in the middle of nineteenth century. The construction of new masonry manor palace was finished in 1850. Development of the whole manor ensemble together with park planting has lasted till 1863. The pools were excavated in the park and the bridges over it were built. Two-storied brick palace with arcade and columns in the main facade was built in western part of the park. Its ground floor was devoted for the administration. In addition, there were guest rooms and the entire right side had a large hall which was divided into two unequal parts by semi-circular arches. Stone stairs led from the entrance hall to the first floor. The first floor was devoted for representation. It had bigger and smaller salons, dining room, working room and library. Its parquet from dark and light wood is composed of various fretworks and motives of the stars. The floor of other rooms was wooden and lacquered. Two rooms had fireplaces while others – rectangular and triangular stoves of glazed tiles. The palace was furnished with Louis XVI style, empyr and Louis Philip era furniture. There were many works of art, weapons and valuable family archive. The library had around 2000 books. The fate of art valuables is unknown. Many of them could have lost during the First World War. The manor languished in the interwar period as well, as Tadeus Bistramas lived in Vilnius with his family because of his anti-Lithuanian orientation. After the war, the manor was the property of soviet technical hydro-reclamation school economy in Panevezys, later – the property of soviet economy of Uliunai. After the breakup of collective farm system, the manor was without a host for some time. Bistrampolis manor was transferred to the Cathedral of Christ the King in Panevezys in 1997. The public institution "Youth integration possibilities centre” takes care of the manor since 2003.


Bistrampolis manor is entered into the Register of Lithuanian Republic of Cultural Property (G 120 K). The park is a natural monument (Gv 80).

Schema_1.jpg

From the former manor ensemble, currently remains:

1. The palace, two-storied, brick, plastered. Built in 1850. Classicism style. RESTORED.  
2. Wain building, single-storied with the basement, stone masonry, walls are decorated with red-bricks plastered surrounds. Built in nineteenth century. Neo-gothic style. RESTORED.
3. Stud farm, single-storied, stone masonry, walls are decorated with red-bricks plastered surrounds. Built in nineteenth century. Neo-gothic style. RESTORED.
4. Icehouse, single-storied with the basement, decorative masonry. Built in nineteenth century. Only the walls extant. RESTORED
5. Gardener cottage, single-storied, red-brick masonry, plastered. Built in nineteenth century. RESTORED
6. Basement with the arbour, mansory walls, cylindrical red-brick floor extant. Built in nineteenth century. Ruined. RESTORED
7. Stable, single-storied, stone masonry, framed with red-brick masonry pilaster. Built in 1854.
8. Stack yard, single-storied, wooden logs with plastered columns of stone masonry. Built in 1857.
9. Stabling, masonry with red-brick plastered decoration. Built in 1854. Only the walls extant.
10. Power station, plastered masonry building of red-bricks, built in nineteenth century and adapted for the power station in twentieth century. RESTORED.
11. Park, of mixed plan, planted in nineteenth century. 13 native species and 3 introduced species of trees grow there. Srubs – respectively 4 and 8. RESTORED.
12. Cemetery, away from the manor, enclosed with stone and brick fence. One stone monument is inside.

 

Prepared by historian Petras Juknevicius